Facts about the DMV SR1 Online template
- 1 Facts about the DMV SR1 Online template
- 2 What Is a DMV SR1 Form Online PDF Used For?
- 3 Who Would Use a DMV SR1 Form Online PDF?
- 4 When Should a DMV SR1 Form Online PDF Be Used?
- 5 What Are the Consequences for Not Using a DMV SR1 Form Online?
- 6 How to Fill Out a DMV SR1 Form Online PDF
- 7 Quick Questions
What Is a DMV SR1 Form Online PDF Used For?
A DMV SR1 form is used to give details about a vehicle accident. In California, the DMV is responsible for overseeing vehicle operations. It’s the entity responsible for issuing drivers’ licenses, keeping track of car insurance, and registering vehicles being used on public roads. Accidents are also part of the DMV’s jurisdiction.
You’ll need to keep track of the following information regarding the accident and all parties involved:
- The date the accident occurred
- The time the accident occurred
- The location of the accident, including a mile marker if on the interstate or a street crossing if on local roads
- The names of all involved drivers
- The driver’s license number of all parties
- Vehicle information for all involved vehicles, including the year, make, color, and VIN or plate number
- Insurance information found on the insurance cards, including the company name, policy numbers, policy periods, and the names of the policy holders
If there was property damage:
- The type of property damaged
- The name and address of the property owner
You’ll also need the name and address of any parties injured or killed.
Who Would Use a DMV SR1 Form Online PDF?
This is the official report for traffic accidents that occur in California. As such, the people who use it should be people who suffered a traffic accident while driving in the state of California. The first part denotes the information about the reporting party, while the next captures the information about the other party.
A police officer might use the forms as part of their investigation. Police officers must make official reports to the DMV about the accident. After a report is filed, it will become part of your permanent driving record. However, the DMV will not decide who’s at fault for the accident. Your insurance payouts and policy coverage will be noted by your insurance company.
One copy should be kept for your personal use. Another should be given to the police, another to your insurance adjustor, and the last to the DMV for official filing.
When Should a DMV SR1 Form Online PDF Be Used?
There are specific circumstances in which a DMV SR1 form must legally be filled out. You must fill out the form if you meet the following circumstances:
- The accident involved property damage exceeding $1,000
- There were any injuries, whether they were minor or not
- A person was killed
What Are the Consequences for Not Using a DMV SR1 Form Online?
The accident report needs to be submitted within 10 days of the accident. Failure to do so can result in a suspended driver’s license. You’ll need to complete your reinstatement requirements to have your license reinstated. The requirements generally include submitting your accident report.
How to Fill Out a DMV SR1 Form Online PDF
Make sure you receive the above listed information. If you’re missing any of it, get in contact with the other party in the accident.
For the first part, which takes down your own information:
- Note the number of vehicles involved, the accident’s date, and the location in which the accident occurred. For the report to be filed, the accident must have occurred in California. Also, check the appropriate box regarding whether the accident happened on private property.
- Note the time at which the accident occurred, and check the box regarding whether it was in the AM or PM. Check the appropriate box regarding the type of accident: moving, stopped in traffic, parked, involving a pedestrian, involving a bicyclist, or other. If you were driving for your employer, make a note of it in the appropriate checkbox.
- Take down your personal information including your full name, driver’s license number, and state of residence. Give your street address and telephone number, with your work number for ‘Wk’ and your home number for ‘Hm.’ If there were any damages over $1,000 to your vehicle, check the box indicating this.
- Write the name of the vehicle owner. If it’s you, just rewrite your name. If it’s another person or company, write that name instead. Indicate the address the vehicle owner can be found at.
- Write the name of the insurance company, your policy number, and the period your policy is valid for. Also write the name of the policy holder.
For the next part, concerning the other driver:
- Write the name and driver’s license of the other driver, along with the state their license is in
- Record their street address, date of birth, and telephone number(s)
- Record the year and make of their vehicle, along with either their license plate or VIN number and the state of registration
- If the vehicle sustained any damages exceeding $1,000, check the appropriate box
- Write the name of the vehicle’s owner and the address at which they can be found
- Write the information about their insurance coverage, including the name of the company, their policy number, the dates in which their policy is active, and the name of the policy holder
For property damage, injuries, or deaths:
- Write the name and address of any individual who suffered an injury or was killed, and check the appropriate boxes
- Write about any other property that sustained damages, along with whether the damages exceeded $1,000
- Record the name and address of the property owner
- Sign the form