Facts about the how do i get temporary custody of my grandchild PDF template
- 1 Facts about the how do i get temporary custody of my grandchild PDF template
- 2 Filling Out a How Do I Get Temporary Custody of My Grandchild PDF Form
- 3 Do I Get Temporary Custody of My Grandchild PDF?
- 4 When Should You Use the How Do I Get Temporary Custody of My Grandchild PDF?
- 5 What are the Consequences for Not Using a How Do I Get Temporary Custody of My Grandchild PDF?
- 6 Steps for Filling Out a How Do I Get Temporary Custody of My Grandchild PDF Form
- 7 Quick Questions
Filling Out a How Do I Get Temporary Custody of My Grandchild PDF Form
There are several situations in which grandparents may wish to obtain custody of their grandchildren. Most of the time, many people simply use a Temporary Guardianship Agreement which grants grandparents the necessary authority to become the guardians of their grandchildren. It is very easy to do and avoids lengthy legal issues and costs.
Why is the How Do I Get Temporary Custody of My Grandchild PDF used? This form is used in order to give grandparents the legal rights to take care of their grandchildren when the parent(s) are unable to do so. Most states do not have grandparent rights that automatically grant the grandparent legal custody. Parental consent is needed (and in many states, required) for medical care, school registration and other legally-mandated situations. A custody agreement will allow grandparents to take the child to the doctor, get registered for school and make any other legal decisions for the care of the child. It is also used to resolve any disputes between parents and grandparents over the care of the child. In these instances, a signed and notarized custody agreement that has the necessary provisions for the child’s care will take precedence over the desires of the parents. For example, it may be necessary for the child to go to a different school and this sometimes results in a disagreement between the parent and the grandparent, especially if the family lives in fairly close proximity (e.g., same city, neighborhood). Who Would Use the How
Do I Get Temporary Custody of My Grandchild PDF?
This form is used by parents and grandparents to transfer legal temporary custody of the child from the parents to the grandparents. It can also be used by parents to grant temporary custody of their child to other family members or even trusted friends if the grandparents cannot provide care for the child.
When Should You Use the How Do I Get Temporary Custody of My Grandchild PDF?
It should be used whenever the parent or grandparent knows that the child will need normal everyday care that the parent cannot provide. Situations that warrant a change in custody of a child may include a parent with an extended serious illness or injury, incarceration, active military service or other situation where the parent cannot provide legal care of the child.
What are the Consequences for Not Using a How Do I Get Temporary Custody of My Grandchild PDF?
The main consequence for not using the custody agreement is that the grandparents will not be able to provide all of the necessary care for the child, including medical care, which could spell disaster for everyone concerned if the child needs emergency care and the parent is unable or unwilling to give their consent. Not using the form result in grandparents literally babysitting the child without having any right to decisions being made about the child. There are no deadlines per se for filling out the form, but it will certainly be much easier for both parents and grandparents if the form is used prior to the parent becoming incapacitated. Otherwise, it may end up as a long court issue if the child enters foster care while awaiting custody arrangements to be finalized and grandparents may never receive custody of their grandchild as a result.
Steps for Filling Out a How Do I Get Temporary Custody of My Grandchild PDF Form
- The parent(s) enter their name(s) and address at the top.
- Enter the name(s) and birth date(s) of the child(ren) in the boxes.
- Then enter the name(s) of the person(s) receiving custody and their relationship to the child(ren).
- Enter the contact information of the person(s) receiving custody.
- The parent MUST fill out the rest of the form AT THE NOTARY’S OFFICE.
- The parent(s) enter their name(s) and then the name(s) of the guardian(s) to whom they are granting custody.
- Then, the parent checks the appropriate box for the correct custody timeframe. For known time periods, the first box and correct (or approximate) dates should be entered. If the parent is unsure how long the custody may last, the second box should be checked and the start date of the custody should be entered.
- With the notary present, the parent(s) sign and date the form.
- Lastly, the notary will fill out the remainder of the form, sign it and affix their seal on the paper.